In Year 4, we follow a topic-based approach which incorporates the key skills set out in the National Curriculum. We have found
that this approach to teaching really engages the children and gives meaning to their learning.
Each term starts with a new topic which is based around a big question. We plan exciting contexts for learning that ‘hook’ and engage learners so that they want to learn more. We aim to make learning real and relevant to the lives of our children and will always include a trip linked to the topic or arrange for visitors to come into school to enhance learning. Where possible, all areas of the curriculum including Maths and English are linked to the topic theme. Lessons challenge all pupils through a variety of activities and always aim to excite and enthuse.
Year 4 Routines
Children have two PE sessions each week and should have their PE kit in school every day in case the days are changed. All children in Year 4 attend swimming lessons at The Pods. They have eight one hour lessons which are delivered by qualified swimming teachers. During the lessons, the pupils are taught to:
- swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres
- use a range of strokes effectively
- perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations
- Children are expected to read at least 4 times a week and record these reads in their reading diary.
- Homework menus will be sent out half termly so children can choose pieces to complete. Full instructions will be printed in the front of children’s homework books.
- Spellings will be set on a Wednesday and are tested weekly.
- Times tables are tested fortnightly.